Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to an open crib



Addison is playing a not so fun game of flip flop. Today at 1pm, he went back into an open crib and so far, so good. I went in to nurse them at 6pm tonight and his temp. was just fine. He's 4lbs. 4oz., eating well, and doing everything that he should be doing. His reflux is much better now that he's back on the zantac. I just called his nurse to get a late night update and he's doing wonderfully in his crib. He's doing so well that she got rid of the isolette!!

He has been having some trouble taking bottles though. He gulps and gulps and forgets to breathe and de-sats really low. She had to give him a little blow-by oxygen (holding the oxygen mask her his face). He does so much better nursing and the nurse says that once he's home, he'll likely take bottles better because it will be less stressful.

Riley is still in an isolette. Their primary doctor is in tomorrow (I think) and hopefully I'll get to talk to him about when he plans to move Riley to a crib. He is the opposite of Addison when it comes to eating. He'll take a bottle like a champ but he doesn't quite get nursing yet. He will latch on and nurse but not until he's had 15 minutes of just lying there, doing nothing. His nurse tonight said that she thinks he's going to be a thumb sucker. He always has his thumb in his mouth.

Ian and I go for our apnea monitor training tomorrow evening and I think I'm still planning on doing an overnight. We're not ruling out a Friday discharge date but we're thinking saturday or sunday is more probable. I'm making cookies, brownies, pumpkin muffins (Sandi's wonderful recipe), and possibly cheesecake if I'm feeling ambitious as thank you gifts for the nurses. I've taken them donuts and bagels with cream cheese before and everyone has always loved it. I hear many of them talk about how they don't get their meals or don't have time to eat and it's nice to take them something that they can grab in a minute to hold them over.

Downstairs carpets got shampooed this afternoon, tomorrow I plan to tackle the upstairs rooms. I'm going to go stock up on some stuff at the store so that Ian will only have to run out and grab basics. We're ready!

I'm up way too late tonight. I've actually been getting to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour and I got sucked into Sarah Palin's speech since I was curious as to what she had to say.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The term "baby steps" takes on a whole new meaning when it involves preemies, doesn't it? Hang in there and do try to get as much sleep as you can before the boys come home!

Your swing frame and bassinet thing are on my front porch and I will get them to Ian tomorrow. One more step toward being ready.

You guys are such great parents, I know you will all be okay.