Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One adventure ends and another begins

Tomorrow morning, we call to check on Riley and unless some extreme issue happens overnight, we'll get the ok from the doctor to come pick him up. We have their hospital pictures scheduled at 9:30am. We get to take Addison back in so they can have their pictures done together.
Tomorrow will be 87 days since they were born. 87 days. As I was sitting on the couch with Addison, I turned to Ian and said, "our boys are almost 3 months old". We've been through a lot and tomorrow we will walk out of there and be a complete family.
I'll never forget the nurses. I've grown close to some of them. They have been beyond wonderful and I don't think we could have asked for better doctors and nurses.
Riley is less than 4 ounces from being 4lbs. so he was tested in a Chicco carseat and passed with flying colors. He passed his hearing screening and he's been eating well.
The odds were against our boys. They were tiny and sick but they are fighters and they've beaten the odds. The fact that they are both "walking" out of the nicu with nothing more than some vitamins and an apnea monitor is nothing short of amazing. They're both nursing. I never thought they would be able to do it. I tried so hard to keep up my supply. Spending 4 hours a day, hooked to a breastpump is not even a little bit fun but I know it ws what they needed. They took to nursing better than I could have hoped. Addison is now nursing without a nipple shield and Riley latches right onto the shield.
They will start physical therapy through our state program. They have eye exams in 2 weeks to follow up with their ROP, and we'll have lots of visits to the pediatrician. We have to go back to the nicu in 4 months for some sort of evaluation with the doctor and while it sounds like a lot, I'd do it every day for those boys. We've already learned a lot from them in their short time with us. They've scared us, amazed us, made us laugh and smile, kept us up at night, and brought our family closer together.
Our family and friends have been our rock through all of this. Everyone has bent over backwards to help and we want everyone to know how much we appreciate it.
I have to say a quick thank you specifically to Martha. She has been extremely generous and helpful. She went above and beyond and we are so thankful for everything she has done for us.
To everyone who has said a prayer, sent a card, helped babysit Leah and Skylar, sent things for the kids, offered to run an errand, or just listened while I vented, cried, or tried to have some sort of normal adult conversation, THANK YOU! We have some of the best friends and family members.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I have been reading your story since the boys were born! What amazing little miracle babies you have there! Your family is truly blessed! Thank you for sharing Addison and Riley's journey with all us!

Brooke~ From Amity

Anonymous said...

So happy to see this. Have a great homecoming!!

Kate ( amitymama)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks you guys have been an inspiration to all of us. Good luck on your journey!! So, so happy for you guys :)

Anonymous said...

Just back from vacation and catching up on the boys and finding such wonderful news of homecomings and celebrations. I'm so happy for you all.

Maggie