Friday, September 26, 2008

Today was their due date





My original due date was October 4th and it was then moved to Sept. 26th, after an early ultrasound. It's crazy to sit here, on my due date, and hold my 14 week old twins. Our lives have been one crazy story for the past 6 months. We went from thinking we were having another miscarriage, to finding out there were twins, and then having them born 2 months later, and now to have them here, after beating so many odds. We have all been so, so lucky.


I took the boys to the midwives office to introduce them to Robin (my midwife) and just to check their weights. Addison was 4lbs. 14oz. and Riley is still not gaining much and is only at 3lbs. 14oz. I'm going to take them back to the midwife next week for another weight check and if Riley hasn't had a significant gain, I'm going to call the pediatrician and get them in before their next scheduled appt. I really don't want to have to supplement Riley. He didn't tolerate either of the fortifiers that the nicu tried and I just don't want to mess up his system. He must know what's up though because today, between 10am and 1pm, he drank 5oz. of breastmilk. I've been giving him fresh pumped milk in a bottle so that I can see how much he's eating. Addison is nursing so well. Most of the time, I don't even use the shield. I've been tandem nursing and I just love sitting there with both of them and watch them watch me.

We had our follow up appointment with the eye doctor today. It's their first appointment since coming home and Riley's ROP has started to get better. Addison's left eye is also getting better but his right eye progressed a little bit. He did say that he thinks the ROP has peaked and that he didn't think for a second, that either of them will need laser surgery. We go back in 2 weeks again for another check.

Tuesday we had a social worker come from the county's early intervention program to do intake paperwork for the boys. Next week we'll have 2 therapists and the social worker come out to evaluate each of the boys. If they're behind by at least 30% for their age, they automatically qualify for therapy. They will definitely qualify just because of how early they were and we'll most likely start them with a physical therapist in the next few weeks. She'll work with them for strengthen their neck muscles and work on proper body movements.

So, a lot of stuff is going on. We've got tons of doctor appointments and my house needs so badly to be cleaned.
I took some cute pictures tonight. I got their adorable outfits at babies r us. I had been eyeing up the "twins rock" onesies since we first found out I was having twins. After they were born, I finally knew that I needed 2 blue onesies but when I went to get them, they were sold out. I was there Wednesday night and they had a ton of them again so I had to buy them. Addison is the one wearing the brown pants.
It's just now after midnight and I've got to get some sleep. skylar has a football game first thing in the morning and Ian is going to stay home with the younger kids so that I can finally see one of Skylar's games.

5 comments:

Amber Mc said...

Lindsey,

I've been following along and praying and rejoicing with you all. What a miraculous day! Woo-hoo!

TopazGirl said...

Those are some gorgeous, adorable little guys you have there. Happy Due Date to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Lindsey -- Have you tried hind pumping? I had to do that with Jack to get him to gain weight when he would not tolerate fortifiers or formula when he was a newborn.

congrats on your due date!! Love the cutie pie shirts and of course, the cutie pies wearing them!!

Jen said...

I'm expecting twins in March and reading your blog has really opened my eyes to how much energy I will need! You're boys are too cute in their "Twins Rock!" shirts - where did you get them?

Lindsey said...

Monkey Sam, congrats on your pregnancy! I got their onesies from Babies R Us. They had a really cute selection of twin onesies.