Monday, August 18, 2008

Great day today



Addison is 3lbs. 4oz. and Riley is 2lbs. 10oz. They're still on the same oxygen and high flow settings. They're both having minimal events and their nurse tonight said it's shocking that they haven't needed caffeine yet.
I woke up this morning with a fever and right away, knew it was mastitis. I called my midwife and she gave me a prescription for antibiotics but until those kick in, I'm feverish and my the side of my breast is causing me almost unbearable pain. I considered not going in tonight but knowing that I'm not contagious, I couldn't just sit home.
I got in a little bit early tonight and I planned on pumping before they were due for their feedings because I was afraid that it would hurt too much to try to nurse. Thank goodness the nurse talked me out of that plan. I got Addison out first and he latched on after a few minutes and nursed for a few minutes. He started to get sleepy so I sat him up to burp him so we could put his milk into his tube but he opened his eyes so I decided to take advantage of him being awake and tried his bottle. He took his entire bottle for the first time!! All 34cc of it! Not only did he finish his bottle, he didn't gag and and he coordinated the suck, swallow, breathe thing really well. Usually I have to pull the bottle out so he can catch his breath but the only time I took the bottle out of his mouth was to burp him halfway through the feeding. I'm so proud of him and his nurse was shocked and proud as well.
Riley latched on for the first time tonight. He was able to nurse for a few minutes and then we gave him his bottle. He drank 12 of his 27cc before he burped and spit up. He spit up quite a bit so I didn't push the bottle after that.
So, they both nursed and they did so well with their bottles that their nurse was planning on trying to give them their bottles for their next feeding.
I keep getting errors while trying to upload pics so I'll try again in the morning.

1 comment:

Liba said...

I am sorry you are sick!!

Great job on the nursing and bottling though! They will be home before you know it!