Monday, August 11, 2008

Tough visit tonight



This bottle thing is hard. I was so optimistic when they did well with their first bottles but it seemed to be a case of beginners luck.

Addison took about 10cc of his bottle. He seemed to gag on the bottle a lot so we switched to a low flow nipple and he liked that better. He then got tired and lost all interest in eating.

We got out Riley and gave him the low flow nipple right away. He took it and started sucking instantly and about a minute later, he started to gag also. I gave him a little break, burped him, and tried again and he de-sated down to 49. He wasn't getting his saturation back up so they turned up his oxygen and put an oxygen mask near his face so that he was getting even more oxygen. He eventually came back up but that was the end of bottle feeding.

I asked the nurse if they could put their feeding tubes in their noses. Right now, the tape is just under their bottom lip and when they try to take a bottle, first off, it's hard to get a tight seal with the tube in the mouth. Second, they dribble a little bit and the tape ends up falling off and then the tube starts to move and gag them. Hopefully when I go in tomorrow for their bottles, they'll have their tubes moved.

They both did gain weight though. Addison is at 2lbs. 14.6oz. Riley is at 2lbs. 4 something ounces.

I didn't get to hold either of them very long and I didn't even stay to pump like I usually do when I'm finished holding them. I know they'll eventually get it but it's very hard to see them de-sat, gag, and refuse bottles.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I can't say that I know how hard this is. I can try to imagine at best. I love reading the wonderful updates but the reality is sometimes the updates might not be glowing. I can say that as I read this I was relieved because when you said tough visit I was worried about what happened. I was relieved when I read the update. That certainly doesn't help the disappointment you are feeling. They are still doing an amazing job. They had a rough day and they will have them from time to time. I believe that the positive days to come will help you feel better.

These babies are just crazy with how well they done since day 1. You cook some really healthy kids!

Anonymous said...

(((Lindsay)))

The feeding part was SO hard for me! Evan would brady with almost every bottle and it made feeding time very tense. Just know that it WILL get better! Addison and Riley are doing amazing so far. They will be home in no time!

~Cher