Ian got stuck in horrible traffic on his way home from work today. It took him almost 2 hours to get home when it should have only taken 30 minutes. We didn't go in for our 2pm time but I did get to go in for their 6pm touch time. As I was talking to Addison's nurse, I asked what had been the deciding factor to extubate him. Apparently, he threw up a little of his feed and a little bit somehow got into his vent tube. They were going to have to change that vent tube but wanted to give him a chance on the cpap. So far, so good. His blood gas was excellent. So excellent that his nurse took the little paper read out to show all of the other nurses. He's getting about 55% oxygen but he doesn't need any caffeine or the steroid/anti-inflammatory that Riley was getting.
He's been sating well and breathing plenty on his own. He's still getting the xopenex 4 times per day but they're giving it into the mouth by a mini inhaler style dispenser. He's been tolerating the 26cal. fortifier and is still getting 20cc per feeding. I got to hold him for almost a half hour tonight. He kept de-sating (only by a little bit) and although his nurse said he didn't have to go back into the isolette, I didn't want to stress him out too much on his first day of cpap.
Riley hasn't had the steroid/anti-inflammatory in a few days. The doctors said it takes about 3-4 days to get out of their system so they're hoping that there isn't too much swelling once it's all out of his system. He's been in room air (21% oxygen) most of the day and was only up to 25% when I was in there tonight. He's also tolerating the 26cal fortifier and hopefully it helps him gain some weight.
Both of our boys are off the ventilators! After almost 6 weeks, we've hit a major milestone. Keep you fingers crossed that Addison doesn't get tired and have to go back on the vent.
No comments:
Post a Comment