I knew, when I called this morning, that Riley's feeding tube had been taken out. He was due to have it changed and the doctor said to just leave it out. Addison's tube was due to be changed tomorrow so we were hoping that his would stay out as well.
When I went in this afternoon, neither of them had in their tubes. They've both been taking their full feedings (by mouth) for 24 hours. They're also on their maximum feeding amounts (Addison is 44cc and Riley is 35cc) but no minimum. They're allowed to not take the whole amount as long as they continue to gain weight. They're both nursing really well and I'm trying to get in there as much as possible to nurse.
They're both off of the diurell and potassium. The doctor wrote orders to stop the zantac after tomorrow and the only meds they'll get will be the poly-vi-sol, folate, and vitamin E. They're hoping that since the tubes are out, the opening to the stomach will be able to fully close and they won't have reflux symptoms and need to restart the zantac.
Addison is up to 4lbs. 1oz. He's as big as Skylar was when he was born. I remember thinking that Skylar was so tiny and yet Addison looks so big.
Riley is 3lbs. 3oz.
The next step for the boys is to move to an open crib. They don't like to move babies to a crib until they hit 1500 grams. Addison is well over that and will hopefully be moved in the next few days. Riley is just under 1500 and will hopefully be big enough for a crib by the end of the week.
The first picture is Addison, the bottom picture is Riley.
5 comments:
They have just really grown so much. They are really cute little boys.
I forgot to ask...is he smiling in the picture down below? It looks like a little smile!
I am so happy to hear of their continue progress. When you think about how little they were and the help they needed and then look at them now...it's just amazing!
Yep Erin, he's smiling :) And yes, it is amazing to see how far they've come. I'm very proud of my little guys.
What a fabulous, wonderful day!! Isn't amazing how completely different they look without all of the tubes and tape?
The pics you have posted are they both of the same boy or one of each?
~Cher
WOW!! I'm continually amazed by the progress they're making... and so quickly! You are SO BLESSED to have them tube-free before bringing them home!! Isn't it awesome to see their sweet little faces, after having so much stuff covering them?!?
Sorry to hear the other day was rough for you... I would've been upset about the formula, too.
Try not to worry about their eyes; even if the ROP gets worse, the laser surgery can be very successful. Our daughter had hers over 5 yrs ago, and it worked very well! At the time, her dr told us it had just been in the last 5-10 yrs that the surgery was done successfully on the little ones, and before that, there were a lot more that went blind or had other severely impaired vision. Then, at one of our follow-up appts., we were riding in the elevator with an older man and his teenage son, and the son was blind; he was a preemie, about as early as ours, had ROP, but 'back in his day' they didn't have the surgery. It just opened our eyes ones again... that we have our share of struggles, but things could've been a lot worse. ANYWAY, try not to worry... you have A LOT of people PRAYING for your little sweeties, and God is obviously listening to those prayers!!
Blessings to you and your family!
Katie
What wonderful news! And they are so adorable!
Post a Comment