Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lots of big changes!

I went in to visit early today and as I was in the wash room, the unit clerk came in and said "I don't want you to worry if you look at their beds and see them empty, they moved your babies to the PCU" How awesome is that?? Their doctor decided this morning that they are ready to move to the less critical part of the nicu. It was kind of reassuring to walk over to their new spots and see babies getting ready to go home. One baby was doing her carseat test, another baby had all of it's things packed next to his bed. We're that much closer to those moments.

They both gained weight. Their nurse said she put Riley on the scale this morning and it said 1,000 grams but she always does a second reading and she said when she hit re-weigh, it came up 999 grams. She hit it again to see if she could get it to say 1,000 again and it said 998 so she said she took that and didn't want to chance trying a 4th time. Hitting 1,000 grams is a huge deal to the staff there.

Addison had to go from 2 to 2.5 litres on his high flow. He was having a few more episodes than normal and they thought the jump from 3 to 2 might have been too much, too soon. Since they turned him up he seems to be doing better.

I got to give them their bottles. Today didn't go as well as yesterday for Riley. He was wide awake after I changed his diaper and having to change his outfit that he had all messy and by the time he was due for his feeding, he was fast asleep. He only took 7 of his 25cc. He did latch onto the bottle and didn't de-sat very much so we're still very proud. I, by pure luck, happened to capture one of his adorable smiles with the camera :)

Addison didn't want to be showed up by his brother again so he took 24 of his 32cc like a champ! He then fell asleep and had no interest in finishing. Of course, after we put him back in the isolette, he was wide awake.

Now that they're in the PCU, we're allowed to take in siblings who are 4 years old or older. I asked the nurse if Leah could have a one time visit since she'll be 4 in October and she ok'd it. Tomorrow morning we're going to take in the kids. They haven't seen the babies since they were 2 days old. They remember seeing them with their eyes still fused, lots of wires and iv's, and under saran wrap. They're very, very excited to be able to see them and I'll be sure to post a picture tomorrow of all SIX of us :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How very awesome! I can't wait to see a pic of the 6 of you together. A real family photograph. Guess I had best get these tiny little caps to you before they outgrow them!

Love to all.
Martha

MammaT said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I've been reading your blog since the boys were just a few days old, and I'm so glad to see that they are improving and getting stronger every day. I can't wait to hear of their car seat test and then first car ride, home safe and sound with their family!

Want2bmoms @ mothering.com

Erin said...

I bet when they were born this day and the coming days seemed so far away. Your boys have come so far. They have done an amazing job and it's just so wonderful they are so healthy and so close to coming home.

They are really filling out and they are so cute. The top picture...he looks down right plump! That smile...that is amazing.

I continue to keep the boys in my prayers that they continue to show such amazing progress.