Sunday, August 10, 2008

Not quite the family visit I had imagined



The kids weer really excited to head to the hospital this morning. After about 5 minutes of sitting in a chair next to the isolettes, they realized how incredibly boring it is. They were disappointed that they couldn't hold them and that the babies don't really do much of anything. Leah was only in for about 10 minutes before Ian took her back to the waiting room to calm down. They came back about 15 minutes later and she was ready to come back and sit. She was extremely jealous. She wanted my attention so bad and she had a hard time understanding that she can't hug, kiss, or climb on my lap while I'm holding the babies. She did talk to the boys and hold their hands and after we left, she did say she was happy to go see them.

Skylar didn't have to leave at all and he asked a lot of questions. He talked to the boys and told them about his video games. He was bored out of his mind though. I tried to get him to read books from the nicu library but he wanted no part of it.

Neither of the boys did well with their bottles today. I think they could feel my tension from the kids being restless. Riley's feeding tube and cannula prongs kept coming loose. Addison barely woke up and when he did, he seemed to gag on the bottle.

There is some good news though. Riley has passed 1,000 grams! He weighs 1,006 grams or 2lbs. 3oz. Addison weighs 2lbs. 13.1oz.

Our visit was kind of short and I didn't have time to pump before we left so I'm planning on going back this evening to spend some quality time with the boys. They're only allowed to try the bottle once per day for right now so I'm going to kangaroo care them and just relax with them.

1 comment:

mamacita said...

I'm sure it has to be so hard to find balance in this chaotic time for everyone. You're all doing beautifully and the boys are growing so quickly. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.