Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another great day!




Today I called the NICU before we went in to ask if I would be able to hold Addison. They said as long as they weren't busy, it shouldn't be a problem. We called the neighbor who agreed to take the kids for longer than we had planned so that we could spend extra time with the boys.

Once we got in there, I tried to turn on the camera to take a picture of Riley. The camera wouldn't turn on. We had charged the batteries last night but for some reason, 2 of them didn't charge. I had to take a half hour trip through the hospital, to 2 different gift shops, to buy the last pack of batteries in the whole darn hospital.

When I returned, Ian told me that Addison had started acting up and they weren't sure if he would be able to be held now. At that point, I was on the verge of tears.

We scrubbed our hands and went back in and thank goodness, Addison had calmed down. They pulled up the chair, wrapped him up, and put him in my arms! I held him tight for almost an hour. I've finally held both of my boys and I feel much more connected to them.

Riley was having some issues while we were there. Earlier this morning, he pulled out his feeding tube and got so worked up that he ended up throwing up his last feeding. His belly looked distended so the doctor ordered x-rays. They came back perfectly normal. Riley got some glycerin, made a huge poop, and his belly looked a little bit better. His IV also blew this morning and they were able to get one in his leg. He's getting another blood transfusion (number 4 for him) today and tomorrow will be his last day of antibiotics. After that, he will be IV free! The rest of his feedings were uneventful and he kept them down no problem.

Addison had a pretty easy day except when he acted up while we were there.

They're both staying in 25-30% oxygen and breathing above the vent.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to hold them on the weekends while they're still on the vents. Once they're established on cpap, I'll hold them more often but I don't want to rustle them around too much when they're still so dependant on the ventilator.

4 comments:

Erin said...

That first picture...his eyes are so open!

I'm so glad you have now been able to hold both of your boys. I can't imagine not being able to hold one of my children. You are so strong.

I look forward to more updates about the boys.

Serene Chaos said...

I swear everytime I read your blog, I feel like I am moving back in time to when Evan was in the NICU! Just seeing the syringe holding the breastmilk for the feed brought back so much emotion. I just want you to know that I completely understand all of the emotions you are having right now and if you ever want someone to talk to who has BTDT, please feel free to get in touch with me!

And hooray for feeling a firmer connection with your boys!! (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Congratulation on these wonderful milestones. I'm so happy for all of you.

Maggie

toya said...

I am so happy to read and see the progress of your twins.

Toya from babyfit