Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Phone calls from the NICU

Every time the phone rings, and I see Reading Hospital show up on caller ID, I get this bad feeling. When the babies were born, we were told that the NICU would call if there was a problem. We received a call when Riley had the infection and we've got a few calls from the doctors, just to give us updates. I sometimes debate whether I should answer or not because I'm so afraid of a getting a bad call.
This morning, the phone rang and I saw the hospital on the caller ID. I reluctantly answered and it was one of the head nurses. She was calling to let me know that they were going to be giving Addison a blood transfusion. At first I was confused because he hasn't had IV's in over a week and has been doing really well. She then explained that they think he's ready to start being weaned off of the ventilator but that his blood doesn't have enough oxygen carrying cells so they are hoping that a small blood transfusion will give him what he needs to get off the ventilator!!!
He's also tolerating the 24 calorie fortifier. His first feeding with the 24cal. was at 6pm last night so he's had multiple feedings and not giving anything back!
She also let me know that she's going to try for a PICC line today or tomorrow for Riley. The antibiotics seem to be really hard on his veins and his IV is needing to be moved daily. He's still got another week and a half on antibiotics.
I can't wait to get in there and see them today.

4 comments:

Liba said...

I was so scared when I saw the title of your update.

I am glad it wasn't bad news.

I hope the vent weaning and the PICC line insertion both go well!!

Erin said...

Wow is about all I can say. Seriously...this is so amazing. I cannot believe how amazing these boys are doing. They are just doing so well.

I hope they continue to do this great!

Lisa said...

Well that sounds like fairly good news. I hope it just keeps on getting better!

Anonymous said...

It is so crazy how much fight those little guys can put into making it and being healthy!! They are in my thoughts and prayers everyday .. stay strong and hopeful they will be home before you know it!!

Ashley (justash5506) from babyfit