Friday, July 11, 2008

Really good day



Skylar and I did lots of running around to get everything ready for his birthday party tomorrow. We had to make an extra stop at babies r us and Skylar found these adorable preemie outfits that were on clearance for $3 each so of course, I couldn't say no and we got one for each of the boys. Hopefully they'll be wearing their new outfits for Skylar's birthday tomorrow. We were out way longer than I expected and it was so nice to go see the boys and just be able to relax with them.

Probably the biggest, and the best update for the day is that Riley's culture from this morning came back NEGATIVE for infection! They'll continue antibiotics until he's had 3 straight days of negative cultures. He's tolerating his feedings well and at 2:30 this afternoon, his feedings were increased to 4cc. He hadn't pooped since he started getting breastmilk again and the nurse was talking about giving him glycerin but his body decided to start working on it's own. His nurse today was awesome. She let me be very hands on with him. I got to change his diaper, clean his mouth, take his temperature, and hold the syringe for his feeding. It's the most hands on I've been with either of the boys. His IV blew again and they were able to get one in his left arm again. They seem to last longer in his arms so hopefully this one stays for a little while.

Addison is holding steady with his 16cc feedings. He had spit up a little bit this afternoon because he decided to pull out his feeding tube. After getting cleaned up, he was wide awake. Normally when we go in and they have their eyes open, they're kind of twitching around and their eyes are fluttering. Today, Addison was just calm and looking all around. I stood by his side and just held his hand and talked to him. For the first time, I felt like he knew I was there and it felt great!

I got to spend a good amount of time with each of them. We don't always have a lot of time and I sometimes feel like I'm neglecting them because we kind of go in, get an update on each of them, say a quick hello, and then head out.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Skylar!

This may have been the best update so far. I can't believe how wide open his eyes are in the picture! They are looking so good. You can see that they have grown.

I'm glad you had the chance to be there more today and do more for them. I can't imagine the feelings that must have been pouring through you.

I hope the great updates continue!